Losing My Religion - A response to your responses

Yesterday I felt like I was coming out of the closet.  I apologize to my friends who actually know what this is like, but it's the analogy that keeps coming to me.  Admitting I have major doubts about fundamental issues, teachings, and concepts in my faith felt kind of like going to the grocery store in my underwear.  It's hard to explain, but I just felt compelled to put it out there.  I couldn't leave it alone.

As I explained in my POST yesterday, I've come to realize that often times we're not as isolated as we might think.  I also think that a big piece of the human condition the need for companionship.  And wow....I was not wrong.

I received an almost overwhelming number of responses on Facebook (both my comments and personal messages) and via my personal email.  I was surprised at the magnitude of the responses, but I was also surprised at who responded.  Given the previous statement, I was also surprised at who didn't respond....then again, I didn't really expect anything.   I have tried my best to respond to them all. Most responses were positive in nature; people were empathizing with me, thanking me, encouraging me, and sharing their own stories with me.  All because I went to the grocery store in my underwear.

Of course their were a few not-so-postive responses.  I expected that.

There were also several who are trying to "minister" to me.  I expected that too, and I welcome any feedback.  However,  I think we need to be careful not to be worried or afraid when someone is struggling in their faith.  I've been so grateful for the people who have reached out to me with stories of times in their life where they trudged through something similar.  I love all the book recommendations, and I appreciate the people who have reached out to me and admitted to me that they have the same doubts, and it's the first time they are saying it out loud (or on the computer).  What I don't get is the underlying fear or condemnation in some people's responses.  I'm not afraid or ashamed of these feelings anymore.  I think it's high time I did something about them.  Not only for myself, but for my children.  There will come a time when they come to me with questions about life, the universe, God and Jesus, and I have to be prepared to answer to them.

So I want to say thank you.  Thank you to everyone who responded to this post.  I feel even more compelled now to keep sharing myself; not only sharing my passions about family, food, and fitness, but providing a genuine glimpse into my faith journey.  To those who have asked: yes, I've been a part of countless apologetics, faith and reason, and faith vs. science studies.  I'm not saying those do not have their place, or are not effective for some.  But I've come to the bleak realization that it's time for me to stop depending on others to spoon feed me glue for my faith foundation.  It's time for me to go digging for myself and to open up real conversations.



1 comment

Meredith said...

Didn't get the chance to tell you yesterday, but I really thought the post yesterday was great....as well as the post linked in there about why millenials are leaving the church. It was on my mind again as I stepped out of the shower this morning(random I know). Mainly because I believe the church we attend tends to lean in the way of being edgy, fun, hip....
Like you said though, more times than not, the core issues are not addressed.
It's as though we all want to feel happy go lucky and everything is all good all the time with our faith but if we are being REAL- we know better. We KNOW what should be addressed and that it isn't. Which is why I think sometimes we get roped into settings like that. Because of course we always want to be told it's ok and that we are still "all good."
And unfortunately we could be ultimately missing the mark.

Great post.