Why I jumped on the Bandwagon and got Rid of my Wardrobe (sort of)

I think most people who saw my social media posts about drastically cutting down my wardrobe (also known as wardrobe "capsuling") either thought, "She is nuts!"or "Yes!  I want to do that too."  Obviously I was in the "I want to do that too" camp.

I originally got wind of this idea when my friend Megan posted a link to THIS article.  Eventually I found my way to the Unfancy blog and was hooked on this idea of a more minimalist wardrobe.  For the past year or so, I've been trying to minimize the amount of stuff I had in general, including my wardrobe.  I've made many sizable donations to goodwill, and I've sold a few things here and there, but my wardrobe with still busting at the seams.  I wanted to go even more hardcore, but I didn't know how.  This blog provided a great template for taking it to the next level.

I've seen a few people proclaim their angst regarding bandwagon trends such as these.  I totally get it.  I used to get annoyed by bandwaggoners as well (and still do sometimes, I'll be honest).  However, lately I've been changing my tune.  Who cares if someone wants to get in on a trend or jump on a bandwagon?  What's that got to do with me?  Honestly, I feel 100% great about adopting something new into my life if I think it's going to make me a better person, bandwagon or not.  In fact, I can easily name a few significant ways in which it's made a positive impact on me.

I have more room

I'll go ahead and list the most obvious one first.  You know how when you get your house ready to sell and your realtor tells you to get rid of 3/4 of everything in your closet? And then you say to yourself, "man, I should live like this all the time!  So much room!"  You can!  My closet looks tidy and clean.  I can see everything in it.  Ahhhh.

Wardrobe decisions are easier to make

This sounds counterintuitive, but go with me here.  You know how sometimes you go into your closet to pick out an outfit, and think you've got nothing to wear?  Well, somehow, now that I've got fewer choices, I don't ever feel that way anymore.  The choices are more limited and clear and making a decision on what to wear is easy.  As ridiculous and disgustingly first-world as it sounds, there is stress that comes with looking through an enormous wardrobe.  It feels so light and easy to breeze into the closet each morning, pick something out, feel good about it, and be on with my day.


I'm more stylish

This also sounds counterintuitive, but go with me here too.  When I had way too many clothes (in my opinion) I'd often get overwhelmed by all my choices.  So instead of taking the time to make a decision I'd go straight for the sweats or workout clothes, even with a closet full of "cuter" clothes.  I think a lot of women (particularly stay at home moms and work at home moms/professionals) are in this boat.  Additionally I'm learning to master the art of mixing and matching classic pieces with trendy pieces.  It's much easier to do this when every piece is intentional and never gets lost in the mix.  Lastly, accessorizing becomes the name of the game with you've got a simpler wardrobe!  Some of the best-dressed people I know are just really great at dressing up their outfits.

I'm more resourceful, mindful, and intentional

Yes, those are three qualities, but I think they all go together.  When I worked full time, I had a clothes addiction.  I'm going to be completely honest at the risk of embarrassing myself.  I went through a period of time where I was bitter and frustrated that I had to work.  I wanted to be at home with my kids. So I'd numb myself by buying things, especially clothes. I'd say to myself, "I'm working, I can afford it, and I deserve it."  A huge closet full of clothes was my consolation.  It was mindless and a way of avoiding my feelings.  It was not a good way to deal with my inner issues, and not a good use of my money and energy.  Now that I've stripped my closet down to the essentials, all those reminders are gone and it's much easier to start over.  I'm much more mindful and intentional about what I'm purchasing.  I can give my extra clothes to people who truly need them, and free up money I'd otherwise use to buy clothing in more resourceful ways.  When I buy clothing it will be because I love it not to fill a void, to cater to a whim, or to catch a shopping high.  I'm no where close to needing anything in the clothing department, but when I do, it will be much closer to a need than a thoughtless want.

This was the template.  I didn't end up with this exact number, especially since I combined spring a summer wardrobes, but I came pretty darn close!

I even tackled my workout clothes!  That was actually much more difficult than my "regular" clothes.

Tada!  The finished product.  What do you think?





No comments